Tuesday, 21 May 2013

Spoonflower Tops: Star Wars and Equestrian Themes

Spoonflower Tops by Cicely Ingleside

Do you know Spoonflower?  I was so excited when I first discovered it. It is a site where you can design your own fabric (and wallpaper and wall decals), and purchase other people's designs. I love it. I am trying to learn Illustrator and Photoshop so I can try designing some of my own fabric - but I think that'll be awhile. I have all these ideas, but after a day on the computer at work, I don't feel like doing much more of that in my free time. 

As an aside, trying to learn these programs which are way less intuitive than programs like Excel (I'm pretty good with Excel!) gives me even more respect for all the bloggers out there who not only sew, but take great photos, manipulate blogging sites, manage their online identities and sponsors, and design fabrics, graphics and patterns using these complex programs. What they do is soooo much more than "mommy blogging"! Givin' them some props.


Spoonflower Tops by Cicely Ingleside


Okay, anyway, I bought some fabric from Spoonflower and these are the first things I made! 

First up, this adorable tunic/dress in a horse print for my daughter. The fabric is Gentleman on Pink Fabric by Ragan. I love all of her fabrics - all equestrian themed. 

I ordered the Kona cotton, which I recommend. Previously, I had ordered something on Spoonflower's "basic combed cotton", which is $17.50 a yard, but I found it thin and the colours not as vivid. The Kona cotton is $18 a yard, and so for 50c more, you get a nicer fabric with great colour. The only thing to note is that the printed area is only 42" wide. So I used up the whole yard making this top!  Some of the slightly more expensive Spoonflower fabrics have wider printable areas - such as the Organic Cotton Sateen, which has 56" width.

Spoonflower Tops by Cicely Ingleside

The pattern is the Sunshine Dress pattern by Schwin Designs.  I shortened the dress by 3" according to the instructions for making it tunic length.  It's still is more of a dress, but I like this length as it'll be more practical for playing. I chose a black cotton for the top so stains won't be visible. (Except snot. Why is snot always visible, even on black?)

Spoonflower Tops by Cicely Ingleside

For my Star Wars crazy son, I ordered this cute Star Wars Kids fabric by NixonGraphix. So nice to have a Star Wars option without guns or inappropriately dressed females! Good for a 5 and a half year old.

Spoonflower Tops by Cicely Ingleside

I used another Shwin Designs pattern - I bought a whole bunch because they have a discount for multiple purchases, plus I really like them. This one is the Maxwell Shirt pattern without some of the bells and whistles, since I wanted the fabric to be the focus. The Shwin and Shwin blog even has a video tutorial for the collar, which was really helpful.

Spoonflower Tops by Cicely Ingleside


He will only pose for me now while climbing on this chair in his bedroom. Fair enough. At least he'll pose. 

Spoonflower Tops by Cicely Ingleside

\

1 comment:

  1. Gorgeous stuff! You are so talented! Thanks or sharing. Ragan

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover